Rondo Young Artist Festival
(Instrumentalists, and Ensemble)
The inclusive nature of this competition is open to all instrumentalists and ensembles, ages 5-18. Winners grace world-renowned concert halls such as Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall, Victor Borge Hall and Mary Flagler Concert Hall, and others. Voice students are inapplicable in this division.
Repertoire Requirements - Applicant must choose one or more pieces from standard repertoire (transcriptions and arrangements are welcome).
All applications are due by January 7th, 2019.
All applicants are invited to audition LIVE on February 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th at 244 Studios, NYC.
Location: 244 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019.
Students with schedule conflicts may audition with a Youtube Recording. All Youtube recordings are due by January 29th.
The scheduled date and time for LIVE auditions will be sent on January 21st, 2019.
First Place Winners will perform at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall. Second and Third Place Winners will perform at Victor Borge Recital Hall at Scandinavia House. Concerts maybe added.
All contestants will receive the jury's comments together with the results the week of February 18th, 2019.
(International applicants welcome.)
Category 1: Age group between 5 to 7 years old | Time not to exceed 5 minutes
Category 2: Age group between 8 to 10 years old | Time not to exceed 5 minutes
Category 3: Age group between 11 to 14 years old | Time not to exceed 7 minutes
Category 4: Age group between 15 to 18 years old | Time not to exceed 10 minutes
• More then 1 piece may be performed for auditions, as long as not exceeding the given time limit.
• If chosen as a winner, one or two pieces will be selected by the jury for the performance.
• One sonata movement will be considered one piece. Contestants may choose their opening selection.
• Please exclude the method books - Faber, Bastien and Thompson, when choosing repertoire for the auditions. Compilation books such as Agay, Suzuki Piano School, Lanning, Bacich, Eckstein, Etling, Applebaum, and of the like are accepted. Small classical pieces are welcome. If you have questions regarding appropriate repertoire, please contact RONDO.
• Applicants must turn the required age in the 2018/2019 calendar year (January 1st, 2019 - December 31st, 2019).
• Competitors will be judged within their appropriate age categories and division only within Rondo Young Artist Festival.
• Winners of Rondo Young Artist will perform a piece/pieces selected by the judges from their audition repertoire.
•The repertoire has to remain the same for the winners concerts as the audition process if chosen as a winner.
• If your audition piece exceeds the given time limit, it may be acceptable on a case-by-case basis. Please notify RONDO ahead of time in this event.
• If the applicant for any reason is unable to attend a live audition, video recordings will be accepted.
• Those unable to attend a LIVE audition will receive the same consideration based solely on their Youtube recordings, as those competitors selected to play a LIVE audition in NYC.
• Please adhere to acceptable concert standards, good microphone, and dress code (recordings cannot be enhanced or edited.)
• If an applicant is unable to attend the live audition, the application fee cannot be refunded, unless in the case of medical emergency, accompanied by a doctors note. If a student decided to audition live, he/she MUST be available for the the LIVE audition days. No time changes will be allowed in the schedule.
• RONDO will only excuse students who have academic obligations (i.e. SAT Tests), or medical reasons.
• All Instrumentalists are encouraged to provide their own accompanist.
• RONDO can provide a list of accompanists on a need basis.
• Solo applicants must perform from memory, and with no repeats. Ensemble applicants may use sheet music at the audition, and performance if selected.
• Special Pricing for Sibling Performance fee: Please send checks to RONDO if you qualify.
1. Sibling Performance Fee (in the same concert): One Full, One Half Price (6 tickets to the concert will be included instead of the usual 4).
2. Sibling Performance Fee (in different concerts): Full Price.
• All judges decisions are final. Judges are precluded from judging their own students.
• Submission of application, fee, and audition does not guarantee that you will be chosen as a winner or a spot in the winners performance concerts.
• The Rondo Scholarship Fund is granted to a special applicant who is chosen as a winner of RONDO and has difficulty paying the performance fees. The recipient is chosen by the judges based on their need/description as well as the performance at the RONDO auditions. Please submit a short paragraph of need to email@example.com.
• Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions at 1(347) 766-3608 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.