Information for Students
Description of musical program:
- 5 private instrumental lessons with a member of the distinguished faculty (all lessons are 50 minutes)
- 5 chamber music lessons
- Participation in Master classes by world renowned guest artists and pedagogies
- Chamber rehearsals and performances
- Orchestral rehearsals and performances
- Opportunity to participate in Rondo Summer Academy Concerto Competition (up to five winners will perform with the Rondo Summer Academy Orchestra)
- Daily afternoon student and faculty concerts and masterclasses held at the Hindemith Mansion Salon
- Additional concerts at the church “L’ Eglise de la Chiésaz”
Chamber groups are structured by the music faculty and directors in advance. Parts will be assigned and sent electronically to each student approximately 4 weeks before the Rondo Summer Academy begins, based on individual students level and availability showcased in their youtube recording.
- All students participating in Rondo Summer Academy are eligible to audition
- Up to five winners will be chosen to perform with the Rondo Summer Academy Orchestra
- Participants must present an original work from the Baroque, Classical or Early Romantic period written for solo instrument and string orchestra
- Only repertoire that requires string orchestra accompaniment will be accepted
- Faculty members of Rondo Summer Academy as well as Directors will serve on the jury
- Selections must be 15 minutes or less, and be memorized
- All jury's decisions are final
- All students planning to audition should bring a full set of orchestral scores (electronic format is accepted)
- July 6th: Orientation, Faculty Concert.
- July 7th: Morning meeting, welcome breakfast, lessons, lunch, Chamber Coachings, dinner, Concert
- July 8th: Concerto Competition auditions
- July 9th: First Rehearsal of Rondo Summer Academy Orchestra
- July 10th: Sightseeing excursion trip in beautiful Switzerland.
- July 11th: Masterclasses takes part in the evening (exact dates subject to change)
- July 12th: Regular schedule
- July 13th: Regular schedule
- July 14th: Regular schedule
- July 15th: Evening Chamber Concert
- July 16th: Evening Chamber Concert
- July 17th: Final Concert and Farewell Party
- July 18th: Breakfast, Departures
* Above Schedule is subject to change.
- Geneva to Blonay by train, bus or car
- Geneva Airport (GVA) to Blonay by train, bus or car
- In their free time, Students can relax in the beautiful setting, play board games, hike.
What to Bring:
- Clothing for warm/ cold weather
- Concert Clothes
- Health Insurance Card (A doctor will be made available in the case of illness, however, participants are responsible themselves for all fees)
- Extra Towels (bath towels are provided)
- Toilet Treats (Shampoo, toothpaste, Soap ext)
- Some spending cash on purchasing extra drinks, snacks or souvenirs
- All Sheet Music required for lessons, rehearsals, and coachings
- Camera or phone (not required for the program)
- Music stands
- Musical scores
- Comfortable bathrobe and slippers
Hindemith Foundation Facilities:
- Laundry facilities are available at Hindemith Foundation for an additional fee
- Hindemith Restaurant will serve 3 healthy and delicious daily meals (pricing is included in tuition)
- Students are responsible for their own medical bills and should carry their medical insurance card with them.
- A local doctor, dentist, and a hospital will be accessible in the area of Hindemith foundation if needed.
- No Alcohol - alcohol is not allowed on premises for students.
- No Smoking for students on premises. In the case of alcohol on premises, students will be sent home immediately and miss the remainder of the program.
- For the consumption of alcohol outside the area, Swiss law applies.
- Students are strictly forbidden from using any drugs (unless it’s a medical necessity and accompanied by a physician's note). In this case, Rondo Summer Academy must be notified ahead of time. Rondo Summer Academy can implement a drug test if suspicious activity may arise. If tested positive, it the police will immediately take over the situation and student will be expelled from the program.
- No weapons or fireworks are allowed at the Hindemith Foundation. This will lead to being expelled from the program.
- Night Time Curfew is according to age - under the age of 14 please observe the 10 pm curfew.
- Practice Hours are 9 am until 10 pm.
- Students may use the common area until their curfew time to relax, read a book, quietly socialize as long as the younger students who may be sleeping remain undisturbed. Please be aware of noise level and have courtesy and respect fellow students at all times.
- Rondo Summer Academy will have 3 coordinators/ program supervisors living in the Hindemith Foundation with the participants.
- Students will be placed in a room with someone of a similar age group, and by gender. Please let us know if there is a particular person that you would like to live with during your time at the Summer Academy.
- Students 18 years and over may leave the Hindemith Foundation during free time. Permission to leave the area must be obtained from the director. For reasons of safety, students may not be underway alone, but in groups of at least two, preferably three persons.
- Students are expected to treat their room and the facilities at the Hindemith Foundation with respect and care. In the case of damages, the students are responsible for those fees.
- Rondo Summer Academy is not responsible for any lost or damaged property including instruments and personal possessions.