Rondo Vanguard Competition
Rondo Young Artist NEWS UPDATE - Sadly, our 2021 Season has been postponed due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. We are hopeful that auditions will be able to take place in late SPRING of 2021 with concerts following in the FALL of 2021. Please check back for further updates. The Rondo Team is working very hard to get back to our competitions and concerts as soon as we are able to do so safely, and continuing on with our mission of promoting young talent in their persuit of classical music. We would like to thank our devoted supporters and teachers, students and families for their patience and patronage.
(Instrumentalists, Voice, and Ensemble)
Students 18 and under, seeking a challenge beyond what's offered at Rondo Festival should apply for Rondo Vanguard Competition. In this division, instrumentalists, ensembles and singers are invited to audition with two contrasting styles of music from different musical periods. Vanguard winners grace world-renowned concert halls such as Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall, Victor Borge Hall and Mary Flagler Concert Hall, and others. Voice students are welcome.
Repertoire Requirements - Two contrasting styles of pieces from standard musical repertoire.
Example: Beethoven - Sonata (First Movement) and Scriabin - Prelude.
Sonata Movements will NOT be considered as contrasting pieces.
The repertoire has to remain the same for the winners concerts as the audition process. If chosen as an instrumental winner, one or two pieces will be selected by the jury for the performance.
Singers are required to prepare 2 contrasting pieces form standard classical repertoire
(Arias or songs)
One piece must be in a language other than English (German, French, Italian).
If chosen as a voice winner, one or two pieces will be selected by the jury for performance, each piece should not exceed five minutes.
All applications are due by January 6th, 2020.
All applicants are invited to audition LIVE on February 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th at 244 Studios, NYC.
Location: 244 West 54th Street, New York, NY 10019.
The scheduled date and time for LIVE auditions will be emailed on January 20th, 2020.
Students with schedule conflicts may audition with a Youtube Recording. All recordings are due by January 27th (2020), and should be labeled and emailed to: email@example.com
First Place Winners will perform at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall. Second and Third Place Winners will perform at Victor Borge Recital Hall at Scandinavia House. Concerts maybe added.
Nine CASH prizes up to $1,000 in total will be awarded in the Vanguard Competition.
Three prize winners are chosen from each age category.
1st - Gold ,
2nd - Silver,
3rd - Bronze.
All winners and contestants will receive the jury's comments, together with the results (via email) by Friday, March 13th, 2020.
(International applicants welcome.)
Category 1: Age group between 11 years old and younger | Time not to exceed 8 minutes
Category 2: Age group between 12 to 14 years old | Time not to exceed 12 minutes
Category 3: Age group between 15 to 18 years old | Time not to exceed 16 minutes
• Applicants must turn the required age in the 2019/2020 calendar year (January 1st, 2020 - December 31st, 2020).
• Competitors will be judged within their appropriate age categories within Rondo Vanguard Competition only.
• Winners of Rondo Vanguard Competition will perform a piece/pieces selected by the judges from their audition repertoire.
• The repertoire has to remain the same for the winners concerts as the audition process if chosen as a winner.
• If your audition piece exceeds the given time limit, it may be acceptable on a case-by-case basis. Please notify RONDO ahead of time in this event.
• If the applicant for any reason is unable to attend a live audition, video recordings will be accepted.
• Those unable to attend a LIVE audition will receive the same consideration based solely on their Youtube recordings, as those competitors playing a LIVE audition in NYC.
• Please adhere to acceptable concert standards, good microphone, and dress code. (recordings cannot be enhanced or edited.)
• If an applicant is unable to attend the live audition, the application fee cannot be refunded, unless in the case of medical emergency, accompanied by a doctors note. If a student decided to audition live, he/she MUST be available for the the LIVE audition days. No time changes will be allowed in the schedule.
• RONDO will only excuse students who have academic obligations (i.e. SAT Tests), or medical reasons.
• All Instrumentalists/Singers are encouraged to provide their own accompanist.
• RONDO can provide a list of accompanists on a need basis.
• Solo applicants must perform from memory, and with no repeats. Ensemble applicants may use sheet music at the audition, and performance if selected.
• Special Pricing for Sibling Performance fee: Please send checks to RONDO if you qualify.
1. Sibling Performance Fee (in the same concert): One Full, One Half Price (6 tickets to the concert will be included instead of the usual 4).
2. Sibling Performance Fee (in different concerts): Full Price.
• All judges decisions are final. Judges are precluded from judging their own students.
• Submission of the application, fee and audition does not guarantee that you will be chosen as a winner or a spot in the winners performance concerts.
• The Rondo Scholarship Fund is granted to a special applicant who is chosen as a winner of RONDO and has difficulty paying the performance fees. The recipient is chosen by the judges based on their need/description as well as the performance at the RONDO auditions. Please submit a short paragraph of need to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions at 1(347) 766-3608 or email us at email@example.com.