Rondo Vanguard Competition
(Instrumentalists, Voice, and Ensemble)
Students 18 and under, seeking a challenge beyond what's offered at Rondo Festival should apply for Rondo Vanguard Competition. In this division, instrumentalists, ensembles and singers are invited to audition with two contrasting styles of music from different musical periods. Vanguard winners grace world-renowned concert halls such as Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall, Victor Borge Hall and Mary Flagler Concert Hall, and others. Voice students are welcome.
Repertoire Requirements - Two contrasting styles of pieces from standard musical repertoire from 2 different musical time periods.
Example: Beethoven - Sonata (First Movement) and Scriabin - Prelude.
Sonata Movements will NOT be considered as contrasting pieces.
The repertoire has to remain the same for the winners concerts as the audition process. If chosen as an instrumental winner, one or two pieces will be selected by the jury for the performance.
Singers are required to prepare 2 contrasting pieces form standard classical repertoire
(Arias or songs)
One piece must be in a language other than English (German, French, Italian).
If chosen as a voice winner, one or two pieces will be selected by the jury for performance, each piece should not exceed five minutes.
All applications are due by Monday, May 17th, 2021.
Virtual Youtube auditions are accepted this year, and should be emailed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, June 1st. 2021.
All applicants should dress appropriately for an audition selection and be sure to state your name and repertoire.)
First Place Winners will perform at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall. Second and Third Place Winners will perform at Victor Borge Recital Hall at Scandinavia House. Concerts maybe added.
All competition participants will receive the jury's comments together with their results via email by (the week of) June 21st, 2021.
(International applicants are welcome.)
Nine CASH prizes up to $1,000 in total will be awarded in the Vanguard Competition.
Please note that all CASH PRIZES have been temporarily suspended for the 2021 concert season due to the financial strain caused by the global coronavirus pandemic restrictions, which have effected our concert procedures.
We are grateful that RONDO has been able to put on LIVE performances in 2021 at Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall and Scandinavia House Victor Borge Hall, and can continue pursuing our mission of inspiring young musicians and giving them various concert opportunities. We look forward to new developments in the 2022 Season.
Category 1: Age group between 11 years old and younger | Time not to exceed 8 minutes
Category 2: Age group between 12 to 14 years old | Time not to exceed 12 minutes
Category 3: Age group between 15 to 18 years old | Time not to exceed 16 minutes
• Applicants must turn the required age in the 2021 calendar year (January 1st, 2021 - December 31st, 2021).
• Competitors will be judged within their appropriate age categories within Rondo Vanguard Competition only.
• Winners of Rondo Vanguard Competition will perform a piece/pieces selected by the judges from their audition repertoire.
• The repertoire has to remain the same for the winners concerts as the audition process if chosen as a winner.
• If your audition piece exceeds the given time limit, it may be acceptable on a case-by-case basis. Please notify RONDO ahead of time in this event.
• Virtual Auditions - Please adhere to acceptable concert standards, good microphone, and dress code. (recordings cannot be enhanced or edited.)
• All Instrumentalists/Singers are encouraged to provide their own accompanist, however can provide a LIST of accompanists on a need basis for 2021 youtube virtual auditions/live winners concerts in the fall of 2021.
• Solo applicants must perform from memory, and with no repeats. Ensemble applicants may use sheet music at the audition, and performance if selected.
• Special Pricing for Sibling Performance fee: Please reach out to RONDO at email@example.com if you qualify.
1. Sibling Performance Fee (in the same concert): One Full, One Half Price (6 tickets to the concert will be included instead of the usual 4).
2. Sibling Performance Fee (in different concerts): Full Price.
Please note that RONDO will closely follow the CDC guidelines and how many audience members are allowed by Carnegie Hall.
Our participants and supporters safety is our top priority and guidelines will be announced on our website as they are made available.
• All judges decisions are final. Judges are precluded from judging their own students.
• Submission of the application, fee and audition does not guarantee that you will be chosen as a winner or a spot in the winners performance concerts.
• The Rondo Scholarship Fund is granted to a special applicant who is chosen as a winner of RONDO and has difficulty paying the performance fees. The recipient is chosen by the judges based on their need/description as well as the performance at the RONDO auditions. Please submit a short paragraph of need to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions at 1(347) 766-3608 or email us at email@example.com.